Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Senior Year Saga

"Sometimes your closest friend is your greatest enemy."
- Jason Fong

Being a senior in high school is not what I had expected it to be. Usually you expect high school to be an experience of a lifetime. Mine sure has, but now it feels almost as though I'm losing everything I had worked for, including friends. So far my three weeks back at Palo Alto High School have been okay, but not the best. I've been expecting too much out of it and finding myself doing homework in the library instead of eating with friends. My high school is just how it is in the movies. Cliques, immaturity, and of course drama. I've always been stuck in the middle of drama and mix ups, but I've always been able to get myself out of it since I have nothing to do with any of this soap opera crap. But this year, my senior year, my theory has backfired. My friends won't talk to me because my ex best friend can control minds, not kidding. So again, I find myself friendless wanting to runaway to my boyfriend in Cupertino and just cry in his arms. The only thing that makes it worse is the hundreds of senior couples around me. My boyfriend graduated from Monte Vista last year and not only was it not my school, it was far away. He's my best friend and one of the few people who haven't burned me. The sad thing is, since I've been with him I've changed into a better person, but my high school will shun couples who spend time together and assume you make no time for friends. This is how my friendship fallout occurred. I know who I am now, and what I can look for in a friend, but losing friendships is always the hardest thing to do even though you know it's the right thing. Of course I'm rekindling old friendships that seemed to have just died the past three years. Now, I can only keep my head up and hope for the best. I'm already counting down the days till graduation. As an old friend told me "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best". It's a hard thing to let my heart do, but I know it will only work out for the best. High school is high school, teenagers are teenagers, friends will come and go. This goes to show you can't let others decide who you are, if you know who you are your true friends will come out and you'll survive what will seem like the worst year of your high school career.

1 comment:

  1. Well, mere, all i can say is that I feel you!! I understand everything you're going through. When I was done with middle school, i thought i already had my true friends. but low and behold, high school is more dramatic, and the people there are a different kind of immature. I know I am way far away from you, but if you're ever having a way bad day, or just need to talk, i'm here. I love to listen, and give advice. I love you so much, and wish you lived closer! You're such a great friend to me even though we don't hang out! Just text me anytime, I LOVE YOU!!
    I'll always be your true friend mere.
    I sit and do my homework in the libraries alot at school, too. you're not alone k? just remember that.

    ReplyDelete