Monday, November 30, 2009

Picture Perfect

Thanksgiving is more than just a day to be thankful for things in your life and to be around your loved ones. It's a day to realize what YOU can do to make people smile. Whether it be annoy your cousins with game after game of Taboo, laughing hysterically over knocking your little sisters head with your elbow or just eating with your split up family.

Every family has their problems. It can be living hours away and never talking, a spouse who has broken up bonds, a tragic death that no one can forgive each other for, or a simple mishap between two relatives. Thanksgiving is a day to reunite family and repair relationships. A time to make new friendships and closer bonds with your loved ones. And there wasn't a better way to do that than to go to Sun Valley with my family.

Thinking back to exactly 7 years ago when we went to Sun Valley for Thanksgiving it seemed so wonderful and so happy, this was when my mom was married to my ex step dad and we had family of 10. Everyone was happy, we were always together and there was never a dull moment. My family and I were so excited to be back in Sun Valley where the best things happen. Unfortunately I went into the trip thinking that it won't be fun since I wasn't on good terms with my mom. The drive was fine but only because I isolated myself in the backseat with my iPod and phone (I wish I read). We arrived to the lodge and the condos we were staying at (just one complex over from the ones we stayed in 7 years ago). Immediately I didn't recognize the place, I put the car in park and we unloaded the car. I racked my brain trying to figure out where we were in relation to our trip in 2002. Nothing. All I could remember was the good times at Thanksgiving dinner and the warm memories of love being all around me. Stepping out into the 25 degree weather, Mackenzie, Grace and I decided to find our favorite candy shop in the village. We searched for a good 20 minutes hitting dead end after dead end finally finding it and able to reminisce about how much money we spent the last time we were here. I realized that instead of searching for the past I have to allow my memories to just come to me. So with this new theory we ran back and vegged out for a little bit to catch up and unpack. Memory after memory kept coming back to me and all I wanted to do was to go out and relive my perfect memories. We went ice skating the next day (just like 7 years ago). Only I forgot that I'm 18 and boys are stupid...stupid enough to ram into me almost slicing my legs open or causing me to bruise my fragile tailbone. When I was 11 I sure don't remember having to deal with annoying immature 20 year old boys. But my cousins definitely made up for that stupid event, we made up silly routines clicked picture after picture and held hands to avoid a major crash. I looked up at the sky and saw the wispy clouds and the bright blue sky glowing back at me and I knew that my Thanksgiving wasn't going to be as horrible as I thought. We skated for hours and later we bought some candy, and decided to not eat for some time in order to go into our feast starving. My thanksgiving last year consisted of tons of people, and a lot of turkeys. Every one of those birds got eaten. (I was with my dad's family). I was hoping it'd be the same, but my mom's side is small, with a total of 13 grand kids..2 are boys, 3 aunts and 2 uncles and one set of G-parents. I was so excited to share what's made my year so great, and how much I love my family. But we never got to voice our thoughts...we were all too hungry. We decided to ditch the loud grown-ups sipping on wine and play a chaotic game of Taboo and jump into the 100 degree round pool. I was so happy that I got to be with my family in Sun Valley, I created brand new memories and stronger bonds with my crazy cousins. Yes, my mom is viewed as the aunt who's had two husbands and soon a third, my aunt beat viscous breast cancer and my uncle gets by with 5 girls and a house that's isolated from town, my other aunt may be the one who struggles in life but she hasn't ended up on the streets. We're a strong family, and no matter what obstacle will hit us we can overcome with ease. If it wasn't for this family, MY family would have never been able to get through a rough three years and end up in Palo Alto. We aren't perfect in other's eyes but in my eyes we're picture perfect.

Lesson Learned:
Life isn't about the people you know, how close you are to people. It's about how happy you are and how happy you make others. It's not about money, or how many sales you can hit up on Black Friday. It's family and relationships with the people you care for. If you have a lot of love in your family, there will never be a fallout great enough to break you apart from them. Love your family, no matter how insane they drive you they only do it because they love you. Tell them thank you for just being there. Life is too short to not be thankful. Give your loved ones the love they deserve, and you'll feel happier just knowing they love you back.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Mere! It was sure fun to spend Thanksgiving with you and everyone in Sun Valley. There is nothing better than being with family :)

    ReplyDelete